Sunday, October 3, 2010

Georgia Chicks in Alabama

Once a year, me and a few of my besties, Ann, Tracy, Karen and Vicki, join a few more ladies and hit the road to escape for a weekend of scrapbooking/crafting, propping our feet up and letting our hair down.

We have been going to a wonderful retreat home, the Grand Oak Retreat, overlooking lake Guntersville in Scottsdale, Alabama for the past few years.  Cindy and Bill, the proprietors, welcome us to their retreat home, entertain us (theatre room, hot tub, beautiful vistas, rocking chairs, chocolate fountains) and cook the most amazing meals to nourish hard working ladies {insert giggle here}.





We are practically sitting on a cliff with beautiful vistas of lake Guntersville wrapping around.







New to the Grand Oak Retreat this year were cutie chickens and their coop!  Tiffany, I couldn't help but think of you and your shabby coop!



I didn't take long for the thought to dawn on me ~ "Will these plucky chicks doodle at 6am?" 
My room was very near their coop but, thankfully, no crowing was made since they were still too young to let their awakening be announced to the rest of us.



I loved waking up early {just don't talk to me until after I have had my first cup of coffee}, not only to see the breathtaking sunrise over the lake but also to experience  . . . . peace . . . . and . . . . .quiet.

I have been going and going like the energizer bunny.  I didn't realize how much I needed a break until I was really able to have one.


Morning inspiration of laces and fabric


I decided not to do any scrapbooking this weekend.
Sewing, making jewelry, sewing and more sewing makes for a happy girl {insert beaming grin here}.


Stocking up for ETSY and store.


Here is a cute pic one of my dearest friends, Ann, sporting one of my stamped fabric ribbons as her diva scarf!



Ann and I love many of the same things but like different color combinations.
Here is a pic of her workspace.
She is inspired by hot pink, lime green, black and bling!



Ann's work space
{love her adorable tickets!}


This is a sweet embellishment she made . . .
Oh gosh! How did she know I loved that dear shade of aqua?

The tag aptly states "You Are So Amazing" . . .
Yes, she is.  She is a beautiful person from the inside out.
One of those treasured friends I know I can call at 4am and she will be there.
No matter what.



This is another embellishment she made.
How appropriate for all of us all weekend!
Tracy, Karen and I would break out into random dance,
song and peals of laughter.
We all truly celebrated a few days away from chores, stress, to-do lists.


My workspace before all out crafting started.
{radio announcer: "Ladies, start your engines!" or in my case, sewing machine}


Later in the weekend . . . .

This pic truly sums of the weekend ~ beautiful views, inspiration and friends, doing the things that bring me joy {creating and fellowshiping with my peeps}.



Early to rise and crafing late into the night.
I know this may not sound like a break but it was for me.  ;-)


I took dozens of pics of the moonlight on the lake.
This was the best one I could get ~ it is so tricky getting this shot at night.


Thank you for staying with me through this long post!

Wishing you a wonderful week my Sugahs!
xo's ~ Heidi

4 comments:

Tracy B said...

Heidi! Beautiful pics Bestie! I love them and I love you. Thanks for sharing the weekend with me.

Molly said...

Your creations are Bee-You-Tee-Full! Love the chickens, very cute! I am going to have to get me a black one like you pictured to join my flock, he looks like a jersey giant. Hope you have a great week!
~Molly P

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Sounds like ya'll had a wonderful time. Isn't it nice to get away!
(())

Anonymous said...

How fun! And the perfect time of year. Whata a beautiful place to get some R&R with friends. I can't wait to see all of the wonderful things your made.