Monday, April 26, 2010

Create day at the Ford Plantation

Create Day is here! Yay!
I had been looking forward to Create day of the Ford Plantation for a long time.
What a beautiful and inspiring venue to create in.
This is a pic from the back. Forgive me but I was so excited when we came in the front door that I forgot to snap a pic before I walked in.


We were nestled on the lawn under the cover of beautiful moss covered trees, overlooking a lowland river in the back. It was as breathtaking and romantic as ever.



Courtyard garden



A sweet southern belle to greet us.


I know Jenn was disappointed it rained. But really, I did not even notice it - I was too excited about everything else. Coming from a southern girl, it was raindrops on roses - just beautiful.


Jenn, Christine and Tiffany were so kind to bring some yummy bits to share for making our projects. You can see the examples of our projects - a parasol fit for a southern princess, dress forms for your inner diva and a gorgeous silhouette collage. I could not wait to get started!



The talented Christine Rose Elle teaching us how to tap into our muse. I regret I did not get pics of my other fabulous instructors. I was so enveloped in the projects that time stood still until it was time for us to depart.


There were so many beautiful dress forms - I wish I had taken a picture of each and every one.

This one is of Rosalyn-Sue's. I love the way she used her grandmother's millinery collection on her dress form. It was gorgeous!


This one is Amada's. I love her sweet bird theme!


I think the brown one is Jodie's but I am not sure who the pink and aqua one is. If you know, give me a shout out so I can give them props.


This one is mine. She is a bit of a tattered vintage girl.



Next, Jenn showed us how to make our parasols. (thank you Ronda for letting me snag this pic!) I had fun playing with different trims and making fabric roses.


Finally, we made our silhouettes. This project was very challenging for me. Don't get me wrong - I LOOOVE paper and textiles. But, that was the problem. I "collect" lots of pretties without having to cut {gasp} or glue them onto anything.

I decided to dig deep and use some of the things I had been holding onto for a long time. The pink rose in the corner was from a dress my daughter has long since outgrown. The millinery bits were from various friends and swaps. The old quilt yo-yo was from a vintage sewing stash my brother gave me. The rhinestones are one of my favorite embellishments.

So really, this project was more about letting go of the collecting and getting on with using what I have so I can really enjoy it.


Jenn, I can't thank you enough for such a wonderful event. I will treasure the friendships and memories forever.

xo's Sugahs, Heidi

1 comment:

Debby said...

OH my gosh, what a gorgeous post. I love all your beautiful photos, everything is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Debby